Saturday 4 February 2012

Some new gear...

With the Denali Exhibition being less than 4 months away the bank balance has been taking a little battering, I have had some help with sponsorship but equipment doesn't come cheap, Although I already own lots of equipment this is the first real exhibition Ive been on so new items such has High altitude boots, Ski boots, Mitts and a really warm sleeping bag are all essential. Anyway some of these items have started to arrive.

I popped on down to Peglers in Arundel to check out some gear and place an order, First up was the boots, Ive always been a big fan of La sportiva especially getting on really well with the Batura boot, So i tried on the Olympus Mons, these seemed to work pretty well and I found them very comfortable, I did try on a few other brands such has the Scarpa phantom but these didn't seem has comfortable as the La sportiva, next up I ordered my down salopettes, these are branded by Rab. I also ordered some new mitts from Mountain Hardwear and some warm booty's to where in the tent, these items are all essential due to the how cold this mountain can get. Next up was a new sleeping bag, I already have a good bag from Marmot thats done me well in the alps but with tempatures reaching has low has -50 I decided to look for a better option, In the end I decided on the new Tundra -40, this is a high altidude bag that should keep me warm in the coldest environment.
While on The peglers Ice fest trip last I managed to get hold a good deal on some new Black diamond Quadrant Ski boots, I'm planning on getting to the indoor snow dome to wear these in and get used to them.  Just a few days ago I also ordered my Avalanche receiver rescue kit, This has also been supplied from Peglers at a really good price, Ive decided to go with the Ortovox model has this seems to be one of the best on the market at the moment.

A good team meeting last night has highlighted another few small objects that I need but apart from that I'm pretty close to having all my personal kit sorted now.

Remember to keep checking my blog and the team blog at http://coldsummits.blogspot.com/ for up to date info on the planning, training and progress of this exhibition.


New Black Diamond Quadrants

La Sportiva Olypus Mons

Tundra -40 Sleeping Bag

New High altitude mitts from Mountain Hardwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are
naught without prudence, and that a momentary negliance may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; Look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end